You can help end cruel puppy farming today
Take Action to End Cruel Puppy Peddling
Over the past twelve months, great advances have been made to improve dog welfare in the UK following new regulations implemented on 1st October. In a further welcome step forward, the UK government has also consulted on banning commercial third-party sales of puppies and kittens in England.
Following huge support in the consultation, in May 2019, the government published legislation to ban the sale of puppies and kittens by a third party seller – such as a pet shop or commercial dealer – unless they have bred the animal themselves. The legislation will come into force on 6 April 2020, giving industry and consumers time to prepare for the change.
Naturewatch Foundation has urged the government to move forward with the ban with an accompanying puppy farming public information campaign. We want a UK wide ban and will continue to lobby for the ban of commercial third-party sales in Wales and Scotland.
There is much more to do in order to ban puppy farming for good including tackling illegal internet sales and unlicensed puppy farming. Naturewatch Foundation will continue to campaign to stamp out puppy farming for good!
- Share Harry’s story or Pippy's story! Find out about their journey from a puppy farm to a loving home. If you have bought, adopted or fostered a dog with links to puppy farming, we'd love to know how they're doing! Please contact us by letter or email if you would be happy to share their story.
- Please continue to write to your MP and thank them for listening and legislating for 'Lucy's Law', but the need still remains for a new law to increase the length of prison sentences for animal cruelty.
- Share our puppy farming campaign flyer as a conversation starter, or ask your local vet, pet groomer or local cafe if you can leave a few where potential puppy buyers might see them.
- Promote ‘Adopt Don’t Shop’ - Right now, there are thousands of dogs in the United Kingdom waiting for their forever homes. Keep an ear open for friends or family considering buying a puppy, including as a gift. Encourage them to consider adopting a rescue dog instead. Dogsblog.com is just one example of a lifeline given to homeless dogs offering hope of a loving and caring future. Other useful links: Support Adoption for Pets and Many Tears Animal Rescue.
- Give a gift of hope. Our work is far from over. The ban on third-party sales shows that we’re getting there. However, there’s still a long way to go… and we’ll get there much quicker with your help!
Puppy Farming Campaign Flyer