EDUCATION PROGRAMME: Phase One
Throughout 2013/2014 we worked closely with Teacher Trainers across Ukraine to provide comprehensive training and teaching materials on how to incorporate responsible pet ownership and animal welfare into lessons. The Teacher Trainers are now filtering our education programme down to the schools in their regions.
- Published two books to be distributed to Teacher Trainers at our training seminars. The books are called: “Humans and Environment. Animal Protection” and “Ecological Ethics and Humane Attitude to Animals and Plants”.
- Created a website where all teachers can download free copies of these books and other useful materials for their lessons about animals.
- Conducted four seminars for Teacher Trainers, Animal Welfare NGOs and Municipal Animal Control Inspectors who will then promote our programme at schools and universities.
- Attended Scientific Conferences on Education to promote our programme to other educational establishments.
- Conducted multiple practical lessons for children at schools to help teachers learn how to implement our programme within their lesson plans.
Each of the five seminars covered the following topics:
- What is animal welfare - animal’s needs, five freedoms, use of animals, suffering of animals?
- Importance of education as part of the work of animal welfare NGOs. (NGO seminar only.)
- Controversy regarding animals.
- Cognitive dissonance theory - connection between cruelty to animals and man.
- How does the teaching of animal welfare and humane attitudes fit into school education?
- Moral status of animals.
- Animal welfare education - targets, methods, animals in the school.
- Anthropomorphism, cruelty to animals, animal welfare school politics.
- Animal welfare within environment sciences.
- Examples of animal welfare education lessons.
Below is a list of materials that were handed out to delegates at the seminars:
- Training work booklet with all training materials, notes and tasks covered in the seminar.
- Teacher training book for teachers “Humans and Environment - Animal Protection.”
- Teacher training book for teachers “Ecological Ethics and Humane Attitudes to Animals and Plants”.
- DVD containing two videos: “Animals and Us” produced by the RSPCA, and the training video “Responsible Pet Ownership in Primary Schools” produced by Sasha Bogachyk, Naturewatch Foundation’s Education Representative in Ukraine.
- Copy of Ukrainian Animal Protection Legislation.
- Children’s book “Animals are My Friends.”
- Children’s book “Travelling to the Animal World” issued by the RSPCA and a Ukrainian NGO, containing cartoons to illustrate anthropomorphism in animals.
- The printed material was also supplied in PDF format to allow easy access and sharing by teachers.
Teachers now have access to a huge range of supporting resources and teaching materials to assist them in teaching responsible pet ownership. Schoolchildren across Ukraine are now receiving lessons in maths, biology and reading that incorporate ‘humane education’, helping them to grow up respecting animals and understanding their behaviour and needs.