We couldn’t provide our vital services without the generosity of people like you. Help us continue our work to help animals and make a donation to all our Naturewatch campaignsDonate now
We are proud to be working with Hidden-in-Sight to deliver professional training to Police Forces, Municipalities and animal protection NGOs across Ukraine on how to fight animal abuse.
Ukraine – Stop Animal Abuse
Vitali Klitschko, Mayor of Kyiv and former Professional Boxer, backs our pioneering Police Training Programme to protect animals from abuse:
|Vitali Klitschko says: “Mistreating animals is cowardly and cruel, and I find it abhorrent that it goes on in our city. I am proud that so many Kyiv Police Officers are participating in this pioneering training programme and hope animal abuse cases will no longer be overlooked as a low-priority. Thank you to the British animal welfare NGOs for providing this vital training.”|
Allegations of animals being poisoned, hung, beaten, shot and dropped from multi-storey buildings flood social media sites in Ukraine. Dog fighting is also reported to be a thriving money-making industry.
Our project aims to reduce victims of animal crime and bring suspected offenders to justice.
Our comprehensive training programme will assist with building a collaborative framework within which animal welfare groups, police, prosecutors and the municipality may address animal cruelty together.
The training we conducted in Kyiv earlier this year has been so well received by senior police, we’ve been asked to assist in training a further 2000 Kyiv Police Officers. Senior police have also requested we deliver the training programme to Police Forces, Municipalities and NGOs in twelve other cities across Ukraine.
This is outstanding progress for Ukrainian police, and a major undertaking for us – but one that we must commit to for the sake of Ukraine’s animals.
With your support, here’s what we plan to do:
- Deliver seminars to the police, animal protection NGOs and municipalities in other cities where our training on how to fight animal abuse has been requested. In September, we will begin training in Mykolaiv.
- Speak at an animal welfare conference in Kyiv about how to work with the Kyiv Police to fight animal abuse.
- Provide training to senior Police Officers in Kyiv, who took part in our training seminar earlier this year, to help them cascade our training programme to a further 2000 Police Officers in Kyiv.
- Deliver professional ongoing support to all officers who receive the training by disseminating comprehensive training material to the officers via an official, police mobile phone app.
- Lobby for our training to be included in the Police Academy Basic Training Programme to ensure all newly-appointed officers understand the importance of tackling animal abuse.
- Launch a public awareness campaign in every city where our training is conducted, asking the public to be the eyes and ears of the newly-trained officers.
PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TODAY and join with us to make this pioneering project possible.
We desperately need your help to fund this most important training programme and provide the necessary training materials and ongoing support.